Leveling with no XP

| Monday, March 29, 2010
Many of my addons aren't quite up to date. Some are configured oddly or have the wrong bits disabled. The result is that unless I go to the default UI, I have no XP bar.

My little paladin has no measure of how close or far he is from the next level. He has no measure of how much total experience is needed. Because of this, there is no reward from grinding. 50xp is the same as 1000xp in the sense that 20 times an unknown proportion is still unknown. Or the reverse. There is no xp/hour with no xp. Any rush is meaningless.

Have you ever seen 1% to level and done some mindless and boring grinding? My paladin has not. He is either 1% to level or 1% from having leveled. He is left with no choice but to do whatever he feels like, unaffected by any numbers telling him a better or worse way.

It's liberating.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your only saying that cause you can't work out how to get your bar back :P

I've stayed in zone before because I enjoy quest chains even though they may not be beneficial, but because I am enjoying the moment or I like the chain.It's Probably the most 'fun' Ive had leveling. Even leveling with someone else it's still a race to see who gets to ding 1st, and thus all about the bars..

I will normally do that 1% grind when I should be logging off..

Quicksilver said...

I've had this issue and I must say it has proven rather annoying than liberating.

Is running through places visited before, performing tasks that are far from new, sufficient on its own, or is it the end-goal that is your motivation.

Why are we all so eager to embrace the routine?

Klepsacovic said...

@pugnaciouspriest: I do know how! I just have to reinstall the piece of dominoes that does XP bars. I kinda like this way.

@Okrane S.: For me the routine is racing to 80 and then farming heroics until I get sick of them and quit. Slow leveling doing whatever I feel like it is unusual.

Sven said...

I've been without an XP bar for ages now, as I couldn't think of a way to fit it into my current UI. I can't say I've missed it.

Ngita said...

Is it really the xp bar or lack of it that causes grinding?

The closest i have come is I had 7 quests to hand in, including some in Shatt and I decided that would be enough to level me as I wanted to get some fresh air and sunshine before it got to late.

Handed in my 7 quests and not quite.... Killed 3 mobs, dinged and logged.

But I am starting to get the itch for a level 1 again. Must resist to Cata.

We Fly Spitfires said...

I find there comes a point in MMOs when I just switch off from exp, usually when it's coming in too quickly to notice.

I fought against EXP constantly in EQ2 because I always leveled "too" quickly. I found the same thing recently after getting the triple exp referral bonus when playing with my brother.

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.