VIdeo card fails: Dragon Age: Origins

| Friday, December 25, 2009
Okay perhaps the first fail is me. I asked for Dragon Age: Origins for Christmas, not realizing that my computer is four years old and wasn't exactly top of the line when I got it. So I didn't bother to check the requirements. The result is that I have the RAM, the CPU, the disk space, and my graphics card is a mere 128mb with a 256mb minimum.

And as these things go, I did not find it until I had installed the game and gotten the error "failed to detect a supported video card."
Current card: 128MB ATI RADEON X600 SE

A quick search finds 256mb cards for $30 or so. I might just get a new card. But I don't do all that much gaming anyway, aside from WoW, and that just fine. Okay Dalaran isn't perfect, but I think that's mostly RAM/CPU anyway.

I guess this is my noobish request for advice. Should/Can I get this to work as is? If I do upgrade, have any suggestions?

Merry Christmas.

P.S. At least I know WC3 will run, my brother also got that.

2 comments:

Green Armadillo said...

YMMV, but my experience has been that crowded places like Dalaran actually bottleneck at the level of accessing your hard drive to load the textures for everything everyone around you is wearing.

That said, I had a previous expensive graphics card from a few years ago die on me, replaced it with a $30ish card, and didn't notice any substantial difference. For you, it might even be a minor upgrade to what settings you can use, if you weren't already running maxxed in WoW.

You can also save the old one for future testing of whether your graphics card is the part of your computer that failed if your computer doesn't start at some point in the future.

Klepsacovic said...

@Green Armadillo: So what this means is that Blizzard is homogenizing armor sets to speed up performance. :)

That's a good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.