I have to come clean about this

| Monday, October 31, 2011
I want to start off to make sure we're all in the right context with this: this isn't a long-term thing. Not yet, at least. It only started recently. But it's so good. Not good good, but it feels good, you know? While I do it, it's pretty nice. I know it's not doing me any good. It's not helping those who rely on me. It's probably just annoying to anyone else. Laughable, really. Well, if it wasn't a problem.

I like to think of myself as a gamer. I like the sound of it. But maybe that's not an accurate term anymore. Maybe if I can kick this, but that's a maybe, an if, and frankly I'm not sure how likely it is.

I asked a friend who know a bit about this stuff if he could help me try it out. His girlfriend knows more and maybe she could have helped me, seen what was going on before it was too late. But maybe it was too late the second I considered it. Once I took that first step, it's like the final road with no sidepaths. There certainly isn't a high road. I'm not saying I blame my friend. He did what he could with what he knew. He didn't know better and I should have known that. I'd just wanted to try it out. Something different. A new experience, you know?

And no, this isn't some long-winded roundabout joke about how I tried another MMO. It's about something more real. Or at least something that we see the financial aspects a bit more, with the few big-timers who can get rich off it while the rest of us, well we do what we do.

I made a void ray. I liked it. So I made another. And another. Pretty soon I had a dozen void rays and not much else. But it did the trick. And then I started another game and a dozen void rays got someone scared and hiding behind a wall of turrets with their command center already destroyed along with the expansion. That was supposed to be the last game of the night, but then I started another one. This didn't go as well. Considering my almost total ignorance of protoss mechanics, I think I did okay. With a bit more care I might have pulled off a win, thought it would have been close.

They might be expensive and terrible against lots of small enemies, but damn; they're so flexible. Air or ground, they can hit it. They can fly. I'm so used to terran armies, mostly based on the ground, since while their power isn't weak, it is the ground that they rule. Well, and any air that has marines under it. They are powerful, but harder to move around. Voids rays, those can go anywhere. And wow are they impressive against buildings.

Maybe I can shake this. I hope I can, because I don't think there is any future in it. Maybe you can take this as a cautionary tale. Void rays are not "one-time fun, one time and done. They are not a one-time thing. Maybe they're fun once, but when you find yourself sucked in and trapped, that fades.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.