Pirate This Post

| Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Apparently today is the day when everyone goes silent to protest SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act. Well, I don't know how to do that. I mean both in the technical sense that I don't know how to take this blog down for a day (maybe I could make it private, but that wouldn't say why) but also that I'm not very good at shutting up.

I believe government has a very important role to play on the internet. In fact, I believe that there should be a regulation enforced by any means necessary, and I mean any means. Violate this regulation and I believe the government should get to blow you up with a drone.

The Regulation:
No one gets to regulate the internet. No governments. No corporations. No person. No organization.

The internet is the closest thing the world has ever gotten to a truly free market. It is an engine of innovation and communication. Some powers don't like that innovation or that communication, so they try to stop it. They hate the free market because it threatens them. Free markets are unstable, just like democracies. Powers rise and they distort the system in their favor. It is necessary to counter them, put them back in their place. This is one of those times.

Piracy is bad. But overreaction and overreach are at least as bad.

It's a bit of a shame that Wikipedia is going dark, because without it, how will anyone know why it is down?

Maybe xkcd will be up. Maybe not. Either way, I think this comic fits.
http://xkcd.com/274/
Yea, just the link. I'd hate to accidentally pirate it. Maybe on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.