Do other players ruin all the fun?

| Friday, October 29, 2010
25 man hardmode Lich King and he's at 11%, you've got this! Boom. Boom? Yes, boom. There's been a boom. Also something of a squawk.

You brought an engineer and let's just say you can spell engineering without r-e-l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y. So yes, your raid is all dead and/or chickens. No wait, that one's a duck.

What I'm trying to say is that your raid just wiped on an incredibly hard fight which you were about to win, in a hilarious manner, but perhaps not to the people who were really expecting that 1% to not be there in a few seconds. They're not happy about this.

What if there weren't 24 other people? I know I have few objections to killing myself in uncountable and unimaginable ways. I've had parachute cloak failures, rocket boot failures, backfiring lightning generators, and a mechanohog which suddenly ceased to make me immune to fall damage. I don't mind dying to strange new ways to die.

But I'm not a fan of wiping raids. I've done it more than a few times and I can't say I enjoy it. Sure, it was a bit funny when I got overeager with my rocket boots and repositioning and sprinted right into an exploding orb, knocking me, the second tank, far far away from the fight, and relatively speaking, the ground. But I'd have enjoyed that more if I hadn't wiped the raid.

A lot of potential fun ends up victim to not ruining the game for other players, or alternatively, is ruined by other players. Engineering could be so much more powerful, and less reliable. Blacksmiths could be crafting amazing weapons of unimaginable power, but then everyone would have one and that's just gear inflation. When it can kill the raid, it's not so fun anymore, so no more divine intervention.

On the other hand, what's a glorious wipe without other people? Where's the fun in being the only chicken bomb?

2 comments:

Tesh said...

Other players completely ruin online gaming. They also make it totally worthwhile. *shrug*

Nikodhemus said...

Life in general would be so much better without other people. Of course, it wouldn't last very long...

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.