I don't want to not be a blood elf

| Wednesday, September 15, 2010
I have a terrible confession to make: I like playing a blood elf. It's the facial expression that does it for me. The slight sneer, a bit of annoyance, as if she can just barely tolerate whatever is going on. It's perfect. Not because I like stuck up snobs, but because it fits in combat and out of combat.

I'm going over to the Alliance soon. As in Blizzard soon. Meaning whenever it happens.

But what race? Dwarf is out. Males are out. I'm sorry, but the Alliance humans look silly. They just don't click with me. Trolls, those work. I can play male trolls. Or male orcs and undead. Tauren are tolerable. But obviously none of those are options, so my paladin will be a female human or draenei.

But female humans look weird. Their faces creep me out. There they are beating a wolf to death and they just sort of stare ahead. The eyes move here and there as if unable to focus on anything. They're animated barbies with those glue on eyes that you used in kintergarden for crafts.

Draenei faces work better. They have a serene vibe, which can work in combat with the understanding that they are 1) aliens and 2) utterly devoted to the Light. But their body shape is weird. I somehow cannot see them as spacegoats, but instead they appear to me as people horribly contorted in what is surely a painful way.

I wish I could play a high elf.

11 comments:

LarĂ­sa said...

"They're animated barbies with those glue on eyes that you used in kintergarden for crafts."

Thank you. About time someone said it.
Human females are definitely not for me. I guess their super long legs and big boobs doesn't help me to identify with them either. But their lack of soul is even a bit scary.

Syl said...

human faces are probably the hardest for us to agree to, because as humans our expectations are very set there and higher than of the others races. draenei, nelfs and undead for example do not even have pupils, so it's rather weird that you'd feel it's the humans that lack eye focus the most.

if i didn't play a human, i'd definitely opt for a draenei, they're funky. or else a male dorf, they're great and highly iconic for the genre - what's wrong with the males??
and you didnt even mention gnomes or nightelves, it seems they dont exist for you. ;)

belf is the very last race i'd ever play in wow. reminds me too much of britney spears, pre-shaving.

Klepsacovic said...

@Larisa: That's it, lack of soul! I had no problem with my warlock being a female human. Was a great fit. But paladin just doesn't work.

@Syl: Gnomes and nelfs can't be paladins. Somehow I forgot to mention that I'm transferring my paladin.

jeffo said...

"I like playing a blood elf. It's the facial expression that does it for me. The slight sneer, a bit of annoyance, as if she can just barely tolerate whatever is going on."

My God, you've just described 'New Jaina'! I thought she just really liked Thrall, but now we know: she's really a Blood Elf!

Glyph, the Architect said...

If it makes any difference, most of the playing experience will have the face shielded from view.

Edawan said...

What do you have against Dwarfs ?!

My top-3 for alliance paladins would be : male dwarf, female dwarf, female draenei.

(and by an amazing coincidence, my main is a male dwarf paladin !)

Zahraah said...

you could always do your human up with distracting hair and peircings ( and when are we getting these tattoos that were promised us!) and then hide her face behind a helm

caerphoto said...

There is one human face that looks ok - I used it for my priest. The others do look stupid or high though.
http://caerphoto.com/blogpics/who_caera.jpg

Klepsacovic said...

@Glyph: As I was playing today I barely even noticed the model difference. Too busy tracking targets and pretty numbers.

@Edawan: The males are a bit too bushy for me. The females are too motherly. This is also why I refuse to play female tauren. That's one of my rules: only female players may play female tauren.

@Zahraah: I gave her green eyes, but the hair color isn't quite the same red.

@Andy: Oh that's a good one. I wish I'd noticed it. I went with one of the less ditzy faces.

Cassandri said...

Hmmm this is all wrong. You can't go off looks (since when do you actually look at your character's face?). I think you have to go off their voices.

You've got to create a whole bunch of level 1 and listen to how they talk back to you "not enough mana" "not enough mana!" "attack!". Make sure you do all the emotes too.

BTW why does everyone point to Draenei as aliens? Aren't Orcs aliens to Azeroth too?

Klepsacovic said...

I turned off the voice errors a long time ago.

Orcs are alien, but they look more like humans and have been around longer.

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.