Missing the Game

| Friday, May 18, 2012
So there I was, in the Silithus desert... making references to what is by now probably obscure machinema given the time that has passed.

Anyway, I was looking for more blogs to read, since my list hasn't grown much and some people have had the nerve to stop feeding me interesting things to read.  You people know who you are.

I came across this at Screaming Monkeys (which I'd been boycotting due to having proactively ripped off Syl):
Opposite of this are players who are looking for something specific in their game. They might know what it is they’re looking for or not but until they find whatever they are looking for they won’t be satisfied. They will pick a MMO, play it until they confirm if the desired feature is there or not and if it’s not present, leave for another game.

What I find sad is that while they are looking they are missing most of what the game has the offer. In fact, the rest of the game becomes an obstacle. For example, if I’m looking for the perfect raiding experience, all the leveling game will seem like a chore to me. I’ll hate every minute of it and if the endgame does not live up to my expectations, I’ll be pissed at the game and probably write long angry post about how it was the worst thing to happen to humankind.
 And then did a lot of yelling at strawmen in my head, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

These games, these massively multiplayer online games (they've gone a bit past RPGs by now) are, as the name implies, big, not just in players (some aren't) but in content.  There is so much to do.  There is so much to do that you didn't know you wanted to do.  Don't ignore it!  Try it!  You've dropped in your coins, why not play the bonus games?

4 comments:

LifeDeathSoul said...

I love to do that actually. Just coast on my own and explore a bit in the game world. Perhaps maybe the players have obligations? Like a Raid leader who keeps pestering him to level faster? Wouldn't you feel disappointed too if you rushed all the way to the top only to play a raid that is seriously bugged out and nigh unplayable because of them? It's probably stuff to consider as well.

That being said, yes you should explore more often and just soak in the world :)

Skevos said...

I, Basutei, a paladin of the Illegal Danish, must push forward TO FULFIL THE PROPHECY
your reference made me smile a whole lot

Klepsacovic said...

@LifeDeathSoul: Maybe that's why I'm enjoying Skyrim so much: no raid schedules.

Skevos: *cheer*

Syl said...

(which I'd been boycotting due to having proactively ripped off Syl)

at least one person who got it! <333

;)

Post a Comment

Comments in posts older than 21 days will be moderated to prevent spam. Comments in posts younger than 21 days will be checked for ID.

Powered by Blogger.